It’s January and everyone’s thoughts turn to healthy eating, if just to have a rest from the richness of all the celebration fare. I love the excesses of the festive food, Home cooked ham in chunks or super slim slices, slathered with homemade chutney, a huge stilton ready on the side in the kitchen for a snack of the smartingly creamy cheese as you wander past it in the kitchen. Or, unable to resist, your hand goes out to the tin of chocs, whilst thinking, “It’s Christmas, why not?” My hand is now reaching for a surfeit of vegetables, fresh salad and easy to assemble dishes after the complications of the celebratory cooking. This Toasted Chilli Pineapple Chicken Seeded Wrap is perfect for taking to work, lunch at home or even a light supper with a delicious fresh fruit water.
The pineapple is tossed in chilli sauce and then seared in a pan giving the sweetness a smoky flavour. Orange or red peppers are blistered on the hob and sliced ready to be combined with the mirin, soy chilli chicken. All enclosed in a seeded wrap and dry toasted in the pan to give it a warm crispy finish.
You could substitute the chicken for Halloumi, marinated and cooked in the same way as the chicken, for a perfect vegetarian version.
Toasted Chilli Pineapple Chicken Seeded Wrap
- For the chicken
- 3tbsp Soy sauce
- 2TBsp Mirin
- 1Tbsp flavourless oil, I used groundnut oil
- ½tsp chilli flakes, you could add more to taste
- 1tbsp Date syrup or maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300g chicken breast strips
- For the remainder of the ingredients
- 130g pineapple
- ½tsp Chipotle chilli sauce, I used Cholula hot sauce
- 1 Sweet pepper, red or orange
- A mix of salad leaves
- 2 Seeded wraps
- Using a sealable plastic bag or a medium sized bowl, mix together the soy, mirin, oil, chilli flakes, date or maple syrup, and the crushed garlic. Stir together well or squash the bag to mix them all together. Add the chicken to the mix and coat liberally. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
- Toss the pineapple in the chilli sauce and set aside
- Heat a skillet and place the sweet pepper, whole, on the skillet to char. Turn regularly to cook through. Set aside when done.
- Place the chicken on the griddle and cook for about 5 mins on each side, until just cooked through. Set aside
- In a dry frying pan cook the pineapple until scorched on both sides.
- Place a handful of salad in the centre of each wrap, sprinkle on the fresh chopped chilli, top with the set aside ingredients, leaving enough space at the bottom and sides of the wrap to fold over the filling. Turn the bottom section of the wrap up over the base of the filling, then wrap the left side over the filling and repeat with the right side. You should now have an envelope open at the top.
- Reheat the griddle and place the wrap on the skillet until crisp, turn and crisp up the other side. Eat warm or cold.