It’s now day three of my 12 Days Of Christmas dishes; this is probably the easiest recipe so far. No fancy boning, skinning or wrapping in pancetta, just rub with a few aromatics and roast in the oven. Lemon Rubbed Roasted Spatchcock Poussin. It is quite easy to buy Spatchcock poussin in most supermarkets; then it’s just a matter of removing the packaging and rubbing in the flavour.
Three French Hens Roasted
Serves 6 with vegetables
- 3 Spatchcock Poussin
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 carrots
- 1 stick of celery cut into 3 pieces
- 2 onions halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Micro rocket
- Heat oven to 220c
- Mix the salt and lemon zest together with the olive oil to form a rub
- Rub the skin of the birds with the lemon mix, being sure to get an even covering
- Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper
- place the celery, carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaves and rosemary in a roasting dish large enough to take all three birds.
- Place the poussin on the vegetables, be sure not to overlap them as this stops the skin from crisping.
- Cover the roasting tray with foil
- Place in the hot oven and turn down to 180c immediately
- Roast in the oven for 40 mins
- After that time remove the foil and put back in the oven for 15 mins until the skin is golden brown and crispy
- The meat should fall off the bones easily.
- To serve cut in half with kitchen scissors
- Scatter the micro rocket over the poussin.
- Serve with vegetable, fries or crusty bread.