Mr Glam has embraced the 5:2 diet with enthusiasm and success. This means an end to coffee and cake, tea and cake, cake instead of lunch etc, but it does mean he’s now back to the slim figure he was when we first met. I’ve had somewhat slower success!!
I made these before the Cake Embargo and if I’m making any other sweet goodies I’ll have to be sure the Glam Teens are here to eat the results.
Poached Peach And Marzipan Tart
- 200g / 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 star anise
- 3cm / 1 1/2 inch piece of cinnamon
- 100ml / 1/2 cup amaretto
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla pod split down centre
- 500ml / 2 cups water
- 5 peaches, skin on, cut in half and stone removed
- 1 pack of rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- 250g / 1/2 lb packet of white marzipan
- Put the caster sugar, star anise, cinnamon, ameretto, orange, vanilla and water into a large heavy bottomed saucepan
- Place over a moderate heat and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Place the peaches, with the skins on, into the liquid and poach over a moderate heat for 7 – 10 minutes, until just soft
- Turn off the heat and allow the peaches to cool in the liquid, once you can touch them pinch the skin and it will slide off easily, set the fruit aside
- Roll out the puff pastry and using a 10cm / 4 inch round cutter, cut out 10 circles, place on baking paper on a baking sheet
- Using a 7cm / 3 inch cutter mark a circle in the centre of the pastry circles, do not press all the way through the pastry. Using a fork prick the pastry all over the inner circle to stop the pastry rising
- Brush with the beaten egg and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180c, 160c fan assisted
- Put the poaching liquid on a medium heat and bring to the boil to reduce and thicken
- Roll out the marzipan to a thickness of 0.5 cm or 1/4 inch and cut out 7cm/3inch discs.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and place a disc of marzipan in the centre of each piece of pastry and top with half a peach, brush with the reduced poaching liquid and place in the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown
- Remove from the oven and eat hot or cold with whipped cream or ice cream
If you enjoyed this post why not subscribe to Glamorous Glutton free here