Duck was always a luxury in our house, we’d have it on special occasions, even at Christmas a couple of times. My mother would queue at the counter late on Christmas eve waiting for the prices to go down. Now, thanks to Gressingham, duck doesn’t have to be just for special occasions, with a selection of both breasts and legs it’s possible to have a mid week treat or a wonderful weekend slow cook.
Gressingham sent me some duck legs to create an easy salad recipe, perfect for eating at home or taking on a picnic. The leftovers – if you have any – would be fantastic in a lunchbox. The Pomegranate seeds add a lovely sweetness to the slightly bitter chicory and the pistachios add texture. The pomegranate molasses is both sweet and tart, perfect as a contrast to the delicious duck legs.
Duck Leg Salad With Chicory, Pomegranate Seeds, Pistachios And Pomegranate Molasses
Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a starter (can be doubled)
- 2 Duck legs
- 1 teaspoon Harissa paste
- salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses + 2 teaspoons to drizzle
- 1 tablespoon White wine vinegar
- 1 clove Garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 100 g mixed leaves including rocket and watercress
- 110 g pomegranate seeds
- 15 g Pistachio nuts
- 4 Large chicory leaves
- Preheat the oven 180c, 160c fan, Gas mark 4, 350f
Rub the flesh side of each leg with !/2 a teaspoon of Harissa paste. Turn over and pat the skin dry. Prick all over the skin side of the leg and season with salt and pepper. Place on a rack in a roasting tray and cover with foil. Place in the oven for 1 hour 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the dressing. Add the olive oil, tablespoon of pomegranate molasses, white wine vinegar and garlic to a bowl and whisk together well, add salt and pepper to taste and leave to stand, covered.
- Once cooked the meat should be juicy and falling off the bone. Allow to rest, covered for 10 minutes. Using two forks pull the meat from the bones and pull into small pieces as you would for peking duck. Set aside.
- Place the mixed leaves on a platter or wooden board. Fill each chicory leaf with duck meat, liberally sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and place on the bed of lettuce. Sprinkle the top of each with the pistachio nuts.
- Just before serving whisk the dressing once more and pour all over the salad. Finally drizzle the 2 teaspoons of pomegranate molasses over the duck.
If you enjoyed this post, share it using the Share Buttons Subscribe to Glamorous Glutton free here
Gressingham kindly provided the duck legs for this recipe, all comments are my own.