Long warm evenings in the garden, laughing and chatting over a simple meal and an icy glass of white wine are a rarity in the often wet and unpredictable summers we have here. But when the sun does come out, it can be very hot and a simple selection of salads can be just as tasty and enjoyable as a meaty BBQ.
This salad can be prepared ahead and dressed just before serving. Crunchy blanched broccoli, charred courgettes with a hint of citrus from the Sumac and sweet sharpness from the pomegranate molasses dressing. Perfect with fish or meat or as part of a salad selection.
- 370 g broccoli florets
- 700 g large courgettes
- 40 g toasted pinenuts
- 1 teaspoon Sumac
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the broccoli florets into boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until the stalks are just soft. Drain and set aside
- Slice the courgettes lengthways into thin slices, using a cheese parer makes this easy. Heat a griddle or frying pan over a medium to high heat and place the courgettes singly in the pan. Turn once the courgettes are browned on one side and repeat for the other side. Remove, place flat on kitchen paper and repeat until all the courgettes are griddled. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt
- For the dressing mix together the olive oil, pomegranate molasses and ½ teaspoon of the sumac
- Layer the broccoli and courgettes, sprinkle with the pine nuts and pour over the dressing. Sprinkle with the remainder of the sumac and serve
If you enjoyed this post, share it using the Share Buttons Subscribe to Glamorous Glutton free here