It’s asparagus season. One of my favourite times of year.
When you think of asparagus, is it slathered in melted butter which dribbles down your chin as you eat the spears with your fingers? Or wrapped in homemade mayonnaise, the sweetness of the asparagus contrasting with the bitterness of the olive oil? Or nestled in savoury creme patissiere, the puff pastry base crispy and golden?
One of my favourites is asparagus with egg, either grated yolk, mimosa style with melted butter or as mini muffins, an airy light frittata type mix with a salty hit from the cubes of feta and the asparagus standing to attention in each one and baked to puffy perfection.
Asparagus And Feta Egg Muffins
- 6 eggs plus 2 yolks
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 asparagus spears
- 65g feta cheese cut into 18 equal cubes
- 5 pieces of Fresh Chive finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160c and grease a mini brioche or muffin tin
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk well together with the yolks
- Add the cream and season with the salt and pepper, whisk again until well combined
- Pour and even amount into each of the brioche or muffin cups
- Cut the asparagus about 4 cms / 2 inches from the tip stand 2 tips upright, in the mixture. Cut the remainder of the asparagus into small pieces and add to the egg mix in the cup
- Add 3 squares of feta to each cup and place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until puffy and golden brown
- Sprinkle with the fresh chives and serve
If you enjoyed this post why not subscribe to Glamorous Glutton free here